Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Rich Man

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich
 man to enter the kingdom of heaven."
 Matthew 20:24

I know, thank God that's not YOU, right?  My thoughts exactly.  Because I grew up in church and had learned all the stories as a little girl, I was familiar with this verse.  Familiar enough to be thankful not to be him - or at least to pretend that's how I felt (I mean, cause really, who WOULDN'T want to drive a fancy car, live in a mansion and have gobs of money at their disposal?)  Certianly not me (insert sarcasm).

But upon reading this weekend, a new thought hit me.  That IS me.  I AM that rich man.  Maybe not according to American standards, after all we live on only one income, own only one car and live, with our four kids, in a townhome.  But, none-the-less, we are the 10% of the world's population that even has the opportunity to do THESE things.  Not to mention, drink clean water, run to the grocery store in a pinch, and have access to life-saving medicines.  Yes, contrary to popular belief, I AM that rich man.  And chances are, if you are able to read this post on a computer screen right now, you are too. 

So now what do I do with that piece of information now that I know it? 



"Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do.  God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us accountable to act." 
 Proverbs 24:12


 
So now I am trying to process.  And pray.  And ask God, "What makes it so hard for that rich man?"  "Why is he so materially-rich, yet so spiritually-poor?"  "Does he even have a shot?"  "Do I?"

My life is full of comforts.  Electricity.  Running water.  Transportation.  Savings accounts.  Entertainment.  All good things.  But what do I do when my pantry runs bare?  Cry out to God?  No, I head to the store.  What about when I am feeling anxious or melancholy, or even bored?  Do I spend that time talking with the God of the universe?  Probably not.  More likely I call a friend, eat, or turn on the TV.  It seems that the more comforts I have, the less I NEED Him, or so I think.  Could it be that these very things, the things we have worked so hard for, are driving us away from Him? 

Now PLEASE don't get me wrong....electricity is NOT a bad thing.  Neither is putting money in a savings account or owning a car.  But, now that I know this obstacle makes "going through the eye of a needle" easy in comparison to entering the kingdom of God, how do I go around it??  After all, we do live in this culture.  Are we able to own these comforts without coming to depend on them?

And the answer I have come up with is this......I don't know.  I don't.  I'm sure it's possible, but everytime I think I have it figured out my pride knocks me down a little bit and I'm left, once again, feeling not-so-sure.  But of course, God's timing is perfect.  Just this week our pastor spoke on some of these very things and I left thinking "Yes!!  That is good!  Great sermon!" 

But then I heard it.  That little voice.  Speaking to my heart.  "Now what?"


"Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do.  God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us accountable to act."
  Proverbs 24:12



How are you going to take what God has laid on your heart and put action to it?  How am I? 

Well, for me, we are going to start with putting limitations on TV.  Time that was normally spent watching mindless TV just to "relax" can be replaced with more reading of God's Word and more time connecting as a family.  Trying to focus in on the things that are most important instead of hiding behind those comforts we, as the "rich man", have come to depend on.  For you, it may not be television.  Maybe it's food.  Surfing the internet.  Facebook.  Shopping.

Whatever it is, I challenge you to ask yourself....is it replacing time that COULD be spent pressing in to His heart?  Is it contributing to a nation that is materially-rich, yet spiritually-poor?  And, then, instead of thinking, "Great thoughts!"  "Thanks for posting!" - instead ask, what does God want ME to DO with this piece of information?


"Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do.  God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us accountable to act."
  Proverbs 24:12




Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment